Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Every year during the month of MAY the terrible racial riots that people killing people for nothings remind me of the incidents that rocked the nation and the world.
What happened 40 years ago on 13 MAY 1969 is history but some politician say it is better to forget and look forward however some say we need to be reminder to prevent what happen again our nation can't afford to have one more time.

On the dreadful day 13 May I was returning from airport after the one night duty till morning.The department van drop me and my Malay colleague on the Federal way near section 8 BB primary school. We took a bus to PJ old town and I walk home my Malay colleague walk home staying at the Malay residence area behind the cinema oppositie the bus station.
By afternoon the news like wild fire was out about the killings and finally the racial riots that rock the nation. Curfew was impose and everyone started scramble for iron pipe etc whatever they get to defend their home if the attack come from the Malays. We formed our own defend to protect wooden houses.Group of various shifts was organise to do round the clock vigilant etc.
On the 3rd day suddenly a police car and police land rover with arm police stop in front of my house. It was very tense and the people staying near my house was getting ready to defend etc. A police officer step out and call my name and I saw my immigration inspector in my team as well.I came out to greet them and they told me to pack up with daily use item like tooth paste, tooth brush, soap, tower blanket jacket etc for duty at the airport for a few days. I put on my immigration unifrom with cap plus bring a spare uniform as well.
There at the airport we work for 5 days 24 hrs per day but there was no flights coming from overseas except from Singapore mostly overseas journalist etc and some local residents urgent return home to see that their family OK etc.
Our meals are all taken care and provided with the generous Singapore airlines bringing extra meals for us and other s like custom , health, and special branch all working side by side with us at the booth at the arrival hall.
There was only a relief team to replace us on the 6th day. For the next next 2 months our department van with police car pick us and drop us at out house for duty. A few months later for those who work at the airport for days during the curfew we were given a color full certificate sign by the King. However my surname was spell as CHENG instead just CHEN and MENG instead of MEN. I sent it back for new one to be issue but it never come.
The first thing I do upon reaching home was to buy some can food etc out on my uniform and use my brother bike and went to my girl friend house at OUG old Klang Road about 10 minutes. She was so happy to see me after we lost contacts for a week. She still can't goes to work at the Teacher training college at Pantai area a very hot are during the racial riot.
I prpose to her for marriage and she OK.We wanted to be on 13 May 1970 but our parent stronly objected and finally it was on 9th May 1971.
This May 13 happen to be our 38 wedding anivesary base the Chinese date calender.It also happen that on this 13 May our nation have the first case AH1NI.
I suppose this is GOD will to remind us to live peacefully.

No comments: