Thursday, June 4, 2009

China Malaysia 35 years Friendship 1974-2009

Our New Prime Minister started his 4 days visit to China from 2/5/09 onwards to renew Malaysia and China Friendship that started 35 years by then Prime Minister his father.
I always remember this year as it was the talk of town and every Chinese in Malaysia especially the older people was eager to visit China to see their ancestor land.
I took the opportunity to apply my first passport as an immgration officer working at the Subang International Airport since 1966. It is a year that I wish one day I could visit China as i heard so many stories of Guangzhou from my father and also from my father in law who was a retire teacher. He was a graduater from Shanghai University who came to the then Malayan to seek fortune with a few others. he come from Jujian State from a place Wing Chun. However his dream of retruning to visit his brother and sister never come.
Even after the diplomatic relationship was establish somehow there was still the restriction for Malaysia citizen to visit China as tourists or vist their relatives etc.
After China economic reform started from 1980 onwards the restriction was there it was so difficult for any common Malaysia Chinese wanted to visit China for business, social etc.

If Malaysia had taken the full advantages since 1974 onwards Malaysia could have achieve economic power in Asean nations overcoming the economic downturn in 1984 and 1997. However it was not the fault of the 2nd PM who have the courage to become the 1st Asia nation to establish diplomatic relationship with China. He didn't have the time he wanted to do more as he passed a few years later before he do much more for Malaysia and China.

It should not be too late for Malaysia in 1980 onward when China started it economic reform. Sad to say we missed the ship again. If Malaysia seek the opportunity like going to Vietnam when Vietnam started it economic reform in 1998/1999 then Malaysia with China trading etc if start from 1980 without delay would have reach  a very high successful level then it is now. 

I expereince this Vietnam ecnomic reform when as a small travel agency I went to seek opportunity in Vietnam in 1990. I could see plenty of opportunity awaiting for the overseas investors. Arming with little capital I still manage to get the overseas joint venture travel license by getting parternership joint venture with the National Oil Service company of Vietnam. This was my best ever achievement in my travel business. the joint venture sign ceremony was witness by our then PM at the Saigon Floating Hotel during his first offcial visit to Vietnam 22nd, April 1992. I never forget this day where I had to work for weeks for the preparation etc. After the signing ceremony I just could eat or drink went straight to my room and sleep till next monring.
Just imagine if Malaysian businessmen are encourage and permitted to travel to China to seek business opportunities like to Vietnam in 1990. I am sure trade relationship with China could havae been much bigger after 35 years instead of what it is now!

No comments: